Skills You Need
Develop The Skills You Need For Life
Welcome. Here at SkillsYouNeed we're passionate about providing quality information and resources that can help you to learn and practise the skills you need to make the most of everyday life.
Whether you are at work, a job seeker, a student, a teacher, a parent or just interested in developing your key skills, you will find a wealth of information about essential life skills here; information and resources that will help you to improve your personal and professional life. We hope you find your visit rewarding and that you’ll tell others about us.
All of our content is free and we hope that you find it valuable. We're not trying to sell you anything, just offering help and sound advice about how you might go about developing key life skills.
We are continuously developing the site and adding new content. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please let us know. You can contact us or like us on our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter - just follow the links at the bottom of this page.
We welcome thousands of visitors from around the world every day. We appreciate their support and encouragement – thanks for visiting. We are a British website we use British spelling and measurement systems, although we try to use plain English and try to be as inclusive as possible for our international visitors.
Thanks for subscribing!
Please check your email and confirm your subscription.
What are the Skills You Need?
SkillsYouNeed is split into six distinct sections:
- Personal Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Writing Skills
- Numeracy Skills
We also have various sub sections including: Study Skills - not just for students, but for anybody who wants to learn how to learn more effectively.
Personal skills are the skills you need to maintain a healthy body and mind. These skills are essential building blocks for all other skills. Learn some key skills that will help you to feel more energised, feel better about yourself, be more motivated and increase your self confidence.
Our pages on nutrition cover the basics of diet and maintaining a healthy body. Develop your understanding of:
- Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates
- Learn more about: Fibre, Vitamins and Minerals
- Discover the links between: Stress, Nutrition and Diet
- Learn more about sleep with our pages: What is Sleep? and How to Sleep | The Importance of Sleep.
Look after your mind and feel better - discover our pages about personal development including:
- Personal Development and Personal Empowerment
- Self-Motivation and Emotional Intelligence
- Time Management and Removing Distractions to help you achieve more
- Avoiding Stress
- Anger Management
- Relaxation Techniques
- Building Confidence and Self-Esteem
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
These are the skills we use when dealing with other people, either as individuals or in groups. We all have interpersonal skills but most people recognise that some people are better than others at utilising them. Learn how you might develop your Interpersonal Skills, essential to all relationships, personal and professional; including:
- Communication Skills and Interpersonal Communication
- Verbal Communication and Effective Speaking
- Non-verbal Communication and Personal Appearance
- Listening Skills including Active Listening
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Group Roles and Conducting Meetings
- Learn about the Barriers to Effective Communication
- Building Rapport
Learn how to plan, organise, write and deliver a presentation. Follow our tips and step-by-step guide to improve your presentation skills and reduce your nerves.
- Start with: What is a Presentation?
- Continue with: Writing Your Presentation and Preparing Your Presentation
- Find out about: Working with Visual Aids and Dealing with Questions
- Learn how to cope with and manage Presentation Nerves
Whether we like it or not, at some point in our lives we will almost certainly need some fundamental leadership skills. Learn how to become more charismatic and a successful leader. Browse our Leadership Skills section and learn about:
And lots more...
The ability to write coherently and correctly is important both in business and in your personal life. We provide a number of articles to help improve your writing, from spelling and grammar to clichés that should be avoided and tips for gender neutral writing. Visit our Writing Skills section for lots more.
The word ‘mathematics’ is scary for a lot of people; many people have a less than perfect understanding of basic numeracy and maths. By developing some basic numeracy skills you can save time and money, analyse and understand data and as a result improve your wellbeing. Read our pages and follow our real-life examples of arithmetic and the basic use of statistics.
Brush up on your arithmetic: